No announcement yet.

Thunderbird Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right again! Captain Jean-Luc Picard 1987 first appearance "Encounter at Farpoint" . I also like 7 0f 9, may have
    been the spray-on costume.
    sigpic

Comment

Well - back to T-Bird maintenance; my 31,000 mile 2002 I've owned for 30 months has started getting a front engine bay "tick" in it. It began just when cold and then abated when the car warmed up. Now its more pronounced and doesn't stop, although it gets quieter after driving. I don't think its anything with the hydraulic fan (which I dread dealing with). Sounds like a lifter sticking or the like. Gonna run it a couple of hundred miles with a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil then change the oil and filter and hope it heals itself; else its off to the local Ford dealer for a diagnosis. The car hasn't been driven enough IMO to have such an issue but we'll see.

There is an outside chance the noise "tick" is an exhaust leak which would prob be better than an internal engine issue.
      Last edited by Frank Dreano; Jul 25, 2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EllisonCal View Post
        4 years ago I bought my 2004 TR Tbird with a little over 28,000 miles. I decided to replace the front struts because it just didn't feel as good as my 2005, which had its struts replaced a few years earlier. Made a big difference in handling. This year I had the rear shocks changed at my Ford dealer when the car had 40,000 miles. The ride is improved mostly noticeable when cornering on exit ramps where it corners flat as can be, for a non sport car. I discovered how bad the originals were on the first exit at 10 mph faster than the signs posted on the ramp.
        I'm wondering how much it cost for a set of struts and labor, since you took it to a dealer, generally. I'm at 30K+ and do feel a bit different in cornering as well.
        Virginia_PCR (#426/1000)
        Ordered: Jan. 8, '04/Built: Feb. 13, '04
        Delivered: Feb. 25,'04/Sold: Apr. 17, '04

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia_PCR View Post

I'm wondering how much it cost for a set of struts and labor, since you took it to a dealer, generally. I'm at 30K+ and do feel a bit different in cornering as well.
          I had the rear shocks done in May of this year at Jones Ford in North Charleston, total parts and labor $592.06 all together. Had Monroe Quickstrt Front struts installed there in January of 2019 for $885.95 including a 4 wheel alignment, tax etc. included. It really made the car drive much more like new. My '04 will be 18 years old on September 23, 2021 so I want her (Roxy) to run like a new car not an old lady. I just try to show Roxy a little love. This morning it rained here and she got a little wet, so naturally I dried her off when I put her back in the garage! She's happy now.
          sigpic

Comment

Nice Cal me too, I've put over 3 grand in mine in the last year. This afternoon our retros are invited to dinner with the Classic Tirds...

Comment

Never had my struts replaced but probably need to after 19 years of ownership and 135,000 miles. But I have had all fluids change 3 times over 19 years.
              They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
              IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
              Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK BEAUTY View Post
                This afternoon our retros are invited to dinner with the Classic Tirds...
                The Olympics are on. The ball is set perfectly above the net. Is someone going to spike it?

Bird is the word.....
                Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia_PCR View Post

Why wonder? Get an estimate from your favorite shop.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyFrye View Post

The Olympics are on. The ball is set perfectly above the net. Is someone going to spike it?
                    Not I. You usually handle this sort of light work.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post

Fredrik,
                      I have 135,000 United airline miles to spend.
                      I could pay for your trip to see the USA and me. You could let me know what needs fixing on my 2002.
                      Hermann
                      Hi Hermann
                      Sorry for not ansering earlier it has bin a hot Summer and now i have started to work agen after four weeks vacation so now everything is back to normal.
                      Thank you for THE invite to see you and your car That would be verry fun, but im not an expert on those cars thats why i need all my TBN friends
                      but IF you need some One to kick on tyres i go hihihi
                      /Fredrik

I Started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post

Why wonder? Get an estimate from your favorite shop.
                        . I had all four corners done (Struts) with my local mechanic and saved a ton of money. Whether a dealer or a local installs them, WHY; spend your hard earned money at a Dealership. They have no special magic that makes them better installers, especially when it comes to suspension parts.

Honor the sacrifices our predecessors paid for our country.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
                          I think we should send Fredrik on a cross country tour. He can even bring his lovely bride and daughter along for the ride.
                          Hihi that would be nice and i need to travel over THE sea to buy new parts for My Bird. I just cant find any here and its too expensive to ship to Sweden.
                          and it would be Great to show Up on a TBN Cruiseand meet members

Comment

My bird is verry bouncy in front suspension (hard)

Comment

Working...
                            X