Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls help me identify ( /find ) this part

Hello

Looking around the bird today I noticed the metal piece in this picture is missing on one side. It covers the hole where the rear anchor of the hardtop enters into, when placed on the car. I was unable to find posts relating to this part (I am sure there are a number of them) since I don't know what this is called, what to look for.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Attached Files

I can tell you on most vintage hardtop cars its called a "hardtop receiver".
    There are posts on anothe retro bird forum where a memeber is missing this piece.
    Apparently they are the dickens to find, prob have to source one through a junkyard.

Comment

Each side is different. I assume you are showing the passenger side which has the electrical connection (the shiny metal in your photo) to make the rear window defroster work.

The driver's side does not need that shiny part and doesn't have that part.

This is the driver's side.

IMG_3070 drivers side sm.JPG
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 5bird7; Sep 12, 2021, 06:40 AM.
      Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

They sometimes fall down into the well that surrounds them. Take a look there.

Comment

The top one is the passenger's side with the electrical connections and the bottom is the passengers side removed

www.thunderbirdbob.com

20210912_115329.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post
            Each side is different. I assume you are showing the passenger side which has the electrical connection (the shiny metal in your photo) to make the rear window defroster work.

The driver's side does not need that shiny part and doesn't have that part.

This is the driver's side.

IMG_3070 drivers side sm.JPG
            I didn't know that but it makes sense...

Comment

Many thanks for everyone's response, information and pictures. Truly helpful.

I really thought those contacts are a piece of metal to protect the plastic hardtop receiver (thank you Frank for teaching me how to call them) from wear and tear. It is good to know that I haven't lost a piece (that I know of :-) )

Comment

Whew !!

Comment

Here is a thread covering the hardtop spacer on the drivers side with the part # etc..

https://www.thunderbirdnest.com/foru...hardtop-spacer

Comment

Originally posted by Lakebum View Post
                    Here is a thread covering the hardtop spacer on the drivers side with the part # etc..

https://www.thunderbirdnest.com/foru...hardtop-spacer
                    Thank you. I will glue mine -as suggested in the thread- in before is flies away. It doesn't seem to be doing much of a good job anyway judging the how much the hard top rattled when it was on the car.

Comment

Did you have the arms below the porthole pulled all the way forward?

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
                        Did you have the arms below the porthole pulled all the way forward?
                        Yes I did and I tightened and re-tightened the crews in the front I though they would snap. The rubber might need changing as you suggested earlier.

Comment

Working...
                        X