Wide White Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide White Walls

I've seen a number of members who have wide white wall tires on their Thunderbirds and really like the look. I want to go with 235/55/17 tires. If you have white walls on this tire size, what is the width--2.25, 2.5, 2.75, or 3"? And where did you get them? And did you have any trouble getting a auto tire place to install the 55s over the 50 listed as the proper tire for the car?

Thanks!

Not certain as to width as I’ve since replaced them. I think they were 2.5 inches. Bought mine from Diamondback Tires. https://dbtires.com
    You could also go with Vogue Tyres. No problem whatsoever in having them installed.

Comment

Thanks, Gene. I like the way the tires look with the white roof.

Comment

Plenty of my Corvette brethren put bigger tires on their cars and the tire shops have no issue installing them.
        Diamond Back are the top vendor for retro tires and specifically wide white walls; my 61 had these products on it.
        They wear and ride well and look superb..
        IMG00038-20110513-0656.jpg

Comment

I've had 3 sets of 55 series wide whites on my car and never had a problem getting them installed. IMG_1476.JPG
          Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Thank you, Frank and David,

Both cars look great! And I think the wide white walls add, image wise, to the "classic" or future classic nature of our cars.

Comment

The car was designed with wide whites in mind.

https://www.thunderbirdnest.com/foru...6&d=1547751613
              2020 CanAm Spyder
              2021 Subaru Outback

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I just spoke with Diamond Back tires, and they told me that they cannot put a wide stripe on a 2005 Thunderbird because the law says that the DOT must be visible, which means about an inch or so must remain untouched.

I'm trying to find at least 2 3/4 inch white wall tires. Does anyone have them on their car, and if so, where did you get them? Thanks!

Comment

Not for me but it's your car.
                    They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
                    IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                    Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Actually, I'm rethinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by bronzebird View Post
                        The car was designed with wide whites in mind.

https://www.thunderbirdnest.com/foru...6&d=1547751613
                        That was a pic at the glass house during an event. Not a real Ford pic. I was there.
                        They are Here. Scotty, beam me up!
                        IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE
                        Visit the TBN Store

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
                          I just spoke with Diamond Back tires, and they told me that they cannot put a wide stripe on a 2005 Thunderbird because the law says that the DOT must be visible, which means about an inch or so must remain untouched.

I'm trying to find at least 2 3/4 inch white wall tires. Does anyone have them on their car, and if so, where did you get them? Thanks!
                          Others have purchased those tires for another car and then somehow they ended up on their retro

Comment

eagle.jpg Love my white wall tires with yellow stripe, got em from Belle tire, bugger to keep clean though. YNWA.
                            Last edited by Smedley; Nov 2, 2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
                              I just spoke with Diamond Back tires, and they told me that they cannot put a wide stripe on a 2005 Thunderbird because the law says that the DOT must be visible, which means about an inch or so must remain untouched.!
                              There is a work-around that they can't tell you. Simply tell them the tires are for a classic car like a 56 Ford or any other car like that. Do NOT tell them it's for a modern car. The DOT codes are not required on vintage cars,
                              Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X