Musty smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musty smell

I finally got my '05 cashmere, and it is beautiful. It only has 6500 miles and runs great. I've had it inspected by two separate places, and no one can find any hint of water damage, no rust, no stainings, residues, etc.

Yet there is a slight musty smell in the car. I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from but can't. I thought it might be the convertible top because the hardtop is on now, perhaps the convertible top was damp when it was folded down, but that's not it
    Any ideas? And any home remedies? I don't want to spray those dangerous anti-mold products in the car, especially since I don't know where the smell is coming from. It's not a Florida car.

Maybe place some DampRid buckets? They will absorb moisture from the car and hopefully the smell with it.

Comment

Thanks, will do!

Comment

It could be the cabin air filter needs to be replaced.
        PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
        Built April 22, 2002
        Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Definitely start by replacing the cabin filter if you do not have records from the previous owner. Odorban spray cleaner is a good spry cleaner product to use on the carpet and floor mats. Park the car in the sun with the top down after detailing interior! Enjoy your new toy.

Comment

Congratz on the new cashmere! So exciting to get a new treasure. We used to use charcoal briquettes in a small bucket when we stored our camper for the winter. It kept the 'musty' smell down pretty well in wet western Washington State. It probably won't do much for the smell that's already there though. I would take the top down and take it out for a long 'airing out' drive. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Comment

Thank everyone--this is the greatest site! Much appreciated!

Comment

I bought my '02 20 months ago and I doubt the cabin filter had EVER been changed, clogged completely and a deep blavk with critters, twigs, leaves and other debris embedded in it. They are oommonly available but a PITA to change as you have to remove the palstic firewall cowl..

Might not hurt to give the carpet a good scrub as well...

Comment

Just learn to take those divit buttons (can't remember name or spelling) out the proper way when you start taking the cowl off. They come out easy if you press in the center of the buttons with a pencil eraser and then lift at the outside edges of the buttons. The pins go back in once you're done. Saves from breaking them by trying to pry them off and then having to find replacements.

Also be careful to get the cowl tabs back into their respective slots on the underside or you might just get a buzz on the windshield as you're going down a freeway at speed.
                  Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

As a last resort these come in all the TBird colors, although I hear the Merlot are alot more expensive.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 171037.jpg Screenshot 2021-12-02 171312.jpg
                    Bird is the word.....
                    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyFrye View Post
                      As a last resort these come in all the TBird colors, although I hear the Merlot are alot more expensive.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 171037.jpg Screenshot 2021-12-02 171312.jpg
                      I believe that the red ones are free.

Comment

What I do is to open all the doors, hood, and trunk in a warm, dry environment and wait. Unless it's a dead rat under the carpet, the smell(s) will subside.

Comment

Comment

Something like this might work. It’s small but you would need to run power to it.

https://www.amazon.com/OION-Technolo...13421320&psc=1

Comment

Thanks, the OION looks like something that would be good to have, especially in Florida.

Comment

Working...
                              X