Trunk Lid Dropping Sore Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Lid Dropping Sore Head

Received a real BANG on the head today from the trunk lid. It was not the first time but today's was the hardest. I was going to wait until Spring, but now is a better time.

Looking for a source to purchase new gas springs. If you know of a source please advise me & I would appreciate the part numbers.

Thanks
    Mike

sigpic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40304002222...3ABFBMxtLGgsFf

Comment

My 'Bird's trunk lid was always a bit wimpy from I first purchased it in 2009. It wasn't until I replaced both struts did I realize how the lid really snaps up when opened.
      Quick and inexpensive fix, for sure -- better than a head-banging to remind.

Comment

carports.com is where I bought mine...took 10 minutes to R/R

Comment

Replaced mine thru AutoZone, they had them in stock. Huge difference.

Comment

Do the trunk and hood at the same time, prop those panels up while installing...
            8 bolts - 15 minutes...

Comment

I always do the old”volvo trick” on gas spings that hit me in the head…
              grab it and pull it so it bends that makes it stay up one more year
              worked on all volvo 245 trunkhatches
              (but i was young and new springs costed more than a used Volvo hihihi)

I Started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

Comment

Lift Cylinder - Ford (1W6Z76406A10AA)
                • Sale Price:$26.00

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dreano View Post
                  Do the trunk and hood at the same time, prop those panels up while installing...
                  8 bolts - 15 minutes...
                  I've replaced the hood and deck lid struts and never removed any bolts on a retro. Just removed the clips and installed the new struts.. Sure it was not one of the other nice classics you had?

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrik73 View Post
                    I always do the old”volvo trick” on gas spings that hit me in the head…
                    grab it and pull it so it bends that makes it stay up one more year
                    worked on all volvo 245 trunkhatches
                    (but i was young and new springs costed more than a used Volvo hihihi)
                    That's brilliant, I will definitely be using this especially on other people's cars when I look under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lakebum View Post
                      I've replaced the hood and deck lid struts and never removed any bolts on a retro. Just removed the clips and installed the new struts.. Sure it was not one of the other nice classics you had?
                      I agree...same here. I did all four struts on the prior IG...again just a 15-minute job for all four.

Comment

Mine are still holding after 20 years, but they are a little weaker. Wonder why? Maybe Nancy Gioia knows.

20200702_165452.jpg
                        21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Ordered new struts from Amazon, the old ones are getting pretty week.
                          Tbirddave

Comment

That's exactly what I am doing after the world gets back from New Year's Eve

Thanks everyone for your comments.
                            Mike

sigpic

Comment

Here’s another source and they’re 1/3 off.

https://www.thunderbirdspecialties.c...upport-struts/

Comment

Working...
                              X