Engine Light On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Light On

Started Bird yesterday and engine light is on. Book says emissions. Really don't want to take it to Ford. Is this something a good independent can deal with or is there something I can address?

Check the gas cap seal first. Try coating the rubber gasket with some light grease and see if the light clears temporarily. That is the most likely culprit and easiest to fix. I found the motorcraft OEM replacement cap on Amazon. Yesterday was a good Tbird day in New Orleans, 82f and sunny. I had the top down myself.

Comment

Mine has done that twice, and both times were solved by replacing the gas cap. What code(s) are shown when tested?
      Life without passion is no life at all.
      Sean Combs

Comment

If you end up needing a part you can't find, let me know, I'm heading to NOLA next month and can probably bring you whatever you need. Emission systems are highly complex with many components. If the code points to a leak but you don't smell gas those are often cleared by driving the car more

Comment

Just FYI - most likely it is an oxy sensor. BTW to much ethanol in gas can cause the check engine light to come on. Won't hurt anything to just ignore it. Some have tried using Seabreze additive successfully.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BillyL View Post
            Check the gas cap seal first. Try coating the rubber gasket with some light grease and see if the light clears temporarily. That is the most likely culprit and easiest to fix. I found the motorcraft OEM replacement cap on Amazon. Yesterday was a good Tbird day in New Orleans, 82f and sunny. I had the top down myself.
            Billy is probably right, Gas Cap. But buying a new one won't always solve the problem. NOS caps for our cars aren't "new" but they are "old" stock. I like the grease on the rubber seal idea!
            sigpic

Comment

Dan meant 'SEA FOAM' I swear by it

Comment

Try clearing the code and see if it comes back. It may be just a one time anomily.
                Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Working...
                X