Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult is it to remove the center console?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult is it to remove the center console?

I'd like to know how to go about removing the center console. I need to install a new shift indicator, part #YW4Z7D443AB. If it's an easy install, I'd prefer to do it myself. Otherwise, I'll make an appointment to have my dealer do the work. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: How difficult is it to remove the center console?

Gently pop up the piece of plastic that surrounds the shifter (start at the front). Once this is removed you can decide for yourself if you want to proceed or not. I do not believe you will have to remove the lower part of the console to remove the shifter indicator for once the top part is off you will see that it is fairly open around the shifter stuff.
    Lonestar
    It was a smile in every mile
    Gotta love that American Ride

Comment

It is very easy. If you just use your fingertips and grasp the top plastic as noted above, you can pull off that piece and you will see the entire shift "thing". I doubt that you will have to remove more than this. But if you do, it is just a question of working one piece at a time.

Comment

When I had a satellite radio installed in my car I watched the fellow that did the work. The top piece of the console and the radio/HVAC center stack both come out very easily, at least if you've done it before and have the right tools. Just be gentle and you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

As Bette Midler once said, "People are not the best because they work hard. They work hard because they are the best." And the people on ThunderbirdNest are the best! Know that I appreciate all the prompt responses! I will take the advice given and let you know the results. Thanks, again.

Comment

Well, as a follow up, I got the new shift indicator installed. It took only about 15 minutes. I consulted the instructions for removing the shift knob from another thread on this site, and then removed the top of the center console per the advice given here. I simply popped out the old indicator, removed the wire with the light bulb from the old indicator and reversed the process with the new indicator. I think it's great that there are so many helpful people on this site. The assistance given me here saved me some money and for that I am very grateful.

Comment

Hi Jerry good to hear it was an easy fix. Was wondering why you had to replace it. Was it damaged?
              Sometimes Birds travel far...
              Dutch T-Bird
              tbirdregistry.com No. 27947

Comment

Originally posted by eboose7 View Post
                Well, as a follow up, I got the new shift indicator installed. It took only about 15 minutes. I consulted the instructions for removing the shift knob from another thread on this site, and then removed the top of the center console per the advice given here. I simply popped out the old indicator, removed the wire with the light bulb from the old indicator and reversed the process with the new indicator. I think it's great that there are so many helpful people on this site. The assistance given me here saved me some money and for that I am very grateful.
                Save you money??? oh no, no, no, Jerry - you are to now send us the money. Good advice and instructions are not free.

Glad you got it fixed.
                Lonestar
                It was a smile in every mile
                Gotta love that American Ride

Comment

Frits, it had a minor surface scratch that bothered me. Probably not that noticeable to anyone else, but she is my baby and I like her crisp and standing tall. Lonestar: can you put it on my tab? To paraphrase Wimpy, Popeye's friend, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for advice I receive today." Thanks!

Comment

So what is the process for replacing just the above stated bulb? Mine is out now; see what you started?

Andres

Comment

Originally posted by Hotwheels View Post
                      So what is the process for replacing just the above stated bulb? Mine is out now; see what you started?

Andres
                      First you have to start your own thread! Then you have to put up with all of our snide comments. Not hard at all!

Comment

Originally posted by joe166 View Post
                        First you have to start your own thread! Then you have to put up with all of our snide comments. Not hard at all!
                        <--me giving you the "stink eye" bruddah.

Comment

Bring up this thread as I've been unable to locate the bulb # for replacing the burnt out bulb. I don't think George kept track of the # and the Owner's Manual and the Workshop manual do not even mention it in their the 02 bulb list.
                          Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

If no one has the number, you could take the bad one with you to the auto parts store.

Comment

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
                              If no one has the number, you could take the bad one with you to the auto parts store.
                              That is what George did when he replaced the one in the 02. and he didn't keep track of the number. neither did I.
                              Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Working...
                              X