hub cap removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hub cap removal

What is the best way to remove the hub caps?
    Last edited by ewclement; Jun 16, 2010, 08:05 PM.

Re: hub cap removal

Hub Cap Removal
    sigpic

“THE EDGE,
    there is no honest way to explain it
    because the only people who really know where it is
    are the ones who have gone over.”

Comment

I may be different, but I prefer to call the T-Bird "hub caps" "center caps". It's funny this subject came up today cause Margaret and I were in the garage packing today in great anticipation of selling this house. We found a box of '02 and/or '03 (4 total) "center caps" that I said throw away. She said no. Then we found the "center caps" from the original PCR wheels that we are not using. I said throw away she said no. We've got a POD coming tomorrow to collect all our treasures.

Comment

Originally posted by SixPac View Post
        I may be different, but I prefer to call the T-Bird "hub caps" "center caps". It's funny this subject came up today cause Margaret and I were in the garage packing today in great anticipation of selling this house. We found a box of '02 and/or '03 (4 total) "center caps" that I said throw away. She said no. Then we found the "center caps" from the original PCR wheels that we are not using. I said throw away she said no. We've got a POD coming tomorrow to collect all our treasures.
        Charlie,
        I'm glad Margaret made the decision. If you don't need those center caps, somebody on this site will as they are pretty easy to damage.
        sigpic
        2010 Jaguar XK coupe
        1995 Lexus SC300 (aka Toyota Soarer)
        1985 Honda Nighhawk "S"
        2013 Lexus RX350 - wife's
        2013 Mercedes E-350 coupe

Comment

Someone suggested it before in this forum and it's worked very well for me--the paint can openers, freely available at the likes of Lowes and/or Home Depot are easily accessible (I have 3 stashed on my garage shelves) and fit beautifully in the center cap's slot to start the gentle lifting process. The opener's other end is also handy for that balky bottled "soft drink" cap.

Comment

These caps are pretty fragile so I am wondering if TBN members leave it up to the dealership or tire store to remove these or do you do it yourself before you take it in for any service that involves removing the wheels? TBN members have good ideas about how to remove them without damage,but people working on these cars at shops are not always that careful
            As for Charlie and his center caps, I believe any cosmetic items for these retro birds are going to be hard to find in the near future. In fact, people are already having some trouble getting some trim pieces. If these extra items can be stored, I say keep them. You can always sell them on EBay later if you get rid of your car. Of course my wife does accuse me of being a "hoarder" sometimes.
            sigpic
            2010 Jaguar XK coupe
            1995 Lexus SC300 (aka Toyota Soarer)
            1985 Honda Nighhawk "S"
            2013 Lexus RX350 - wife's
            2013 Mercedes E-350 coupe

Comment

We're keeping the PCR caps. The '02/'03 caps have been gifted out. All 4 are damage goods.

Comment

The first couple times I had the car in at the dealer for tire rotation, I took them off myself. Got tired of it, I just ask them to take care of the car and they are good about it.
                PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
                Built April 22, 2002
                Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by ewclement View Post
                  What is the best way to remove the hub caps?
                  The best way to remove the 'hug caps' is with the lug wrench that came with the car. There is a flat wedge on the end of the lug wrench, that fits the opening slot in the hub caps - if you are scratch conscious, wrap a soft rag around the flat wedge end.

Comment

I posted this somewhere else, I agree with bottomtime and it works easier if you twist the wrench instead of prying with it.
                    "Probably good enough, isn't"
                    ~Grandad

Comment

I do not know the story here but It found the 2004 PCR center caps VERY hard to take off. Very scary as I twisted it in the dual correct side slots, and I had to be brutal to get at least one off! It came flying off like a Frisbee, thank goodness it landed on its back side. The chrome center caps on my 2003 are quite easy to come off. I cannot see any other way , I also used plastic trim removal tools as to not scratch the wheel. Any other PCR owners or with these 2004 hub caps have the same issue?
                      Attached Files
                      Honor the sacrifices our predecessors paid for our country.

Comment

Originally posted by ISSYRO View Post
                        I do not know the story here but It found the 2004 PCR center caps VERY hard to take off. Very scary as I twisted it in the dual correct side slots, and I had to be brutal to get at least one off! It came flying off like a Frisbee, thank goodness it landed on its back side. The chrome center caps on my 2003 are quite easy to come off. I cannot see any other way , I also used plastic trim removal tools as to not scratch the wheel. Any other PCR owners or with these 2004 hub caps have the same issue?
                        The lug wrench in the trunk has a hook on the end of the handle that was made to fit in the slots on the wheel and remove the center caps.
                        Sam

Comment

Sam, I'll give that a look, I always fear those as they are metal and the chances of scratches increases. But then I would figure the designers at Ford thought about this. When I took one off last night, I swore someone had glued it in place.
                          Last edited by ISSYRO; May 23, 2017, 01:47 PM.
                          Honor the sacrifices our predecessors paid for our country.

Comment

You might want to put a piece of electrical tape on the handle where it touches the wheel.
                            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by 2Redbirds57/02 View Post
                              The lug wrench in the trunk has a hook on the end of the handle that was made to fit in the slots on the wheel and remove the center caps.
                              but, Ford also supplied a short piece of rubber hose to go over that flat end when using it to remove the hubcaps, only problem is that they supplied no directions as to why that little cut piece of rubber hose was even there to begin with. Learned by trial and error (mostly error since I got rid of that rubber hose before I learned what it was for).
                              Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Working...
                              X