Lean Fuel Mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean Fuel Mixture

Wow, my T-Bird has developed a lot of problems. Now I am getting a 171 and 174 code, lean fuel mixture both banks. The car idles great, runs fine, but about an hour or so, it throws codes 171, and 174. I have put a bottle of Techtron through, I have changed the fuel filter, Since it does not idle poorly or no performance problems, I just can not figure out what is going on. Any help?
    You all have been great. Thanks in advance.
    EARL
    Only those who will risk going too far
    Can possibly find out how far one can go.
    T.S. Eliot

Re: Lean Fuel Mixture

Bad Sensor?
    sigpic

“THE EDGE,
    there is no honest way to explain it
    because the only people who really know where it is
    are the ones who have gone over.”

Comment

Yup, first clean you MAF (Mass Air-flow sensor) and make sure your air filter is clean and seated properly. I know you can get the too rich error if the air cleaner isn't attached properly.

Comment

a couple of cents worth...of course the sensors are a bit differently situated between the '02 and '03-05 models. Do not touch the sensor, so as to avoid getting oily finger-prints upon it. There are aerosal spray-cleaing products for MAFs available at your local auto-parts store. Also, you may want to search for a thread on the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindy View Post
          a couple of cents worth...of course the sensors are a bit differently situated between the '02 and '03-05 models. Do not touch the sensor, so as to avoid getting oily finger-prints upon it. There are aerosal spray-cleaing products for MAFs available at your local auto-parts store. Also, you may want to search for a thread on the topic.
          Thanks Lindy: I searched several different scenarios that did not give much help. On the internet under code 174, listed EGR valve cleaning and new fuel filter. I had the new fuel filter so I went ahead and changed it. I am beginning to suspect that there may be a leak on the intake leading to the throttle body. When it warms up in Kansas a bit, say above freezing, I will return to the garage and check out all areas.
          Again,thanks to all. If you have any other experiences or ideas, don't hesitate to contribute.
          EARL
          Only those who will risk going too far
          Can possibly find out how far one can go.
          T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
          X