Steering wheel squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel squeak

Brought may car into Ford for a steering wheel squeak. Showed the service manager the service notice about changing steering fluid but he said that the squeek can only be fixed by replacing the unit. It will only cost me a $100 deductable, so I'm having it done. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Re: Steering wheel squeak

Yes I did and mine was fixed with the steering fluid additive. I was under the impression that this is the first step and if the noise either is not removed or returns that the complete rack is replaced. My service writer elected to try the fluid change 1st. This 4 years ago, over 30,000 miles ago.
    Mike

sigpic

Comment

Fluid solved my problem.

Comment

It would have cost me $125 to change the fluid so for $100 deductable I got a new unit and an alignment. Is their a down side to getting a new unit instead of changing the fluid?

ewclement

Comment

The squeak is covered under warrenty. There was a TSB on it. Both of mine were done, no charge. Many members here have had it done.
          sigpic
          Goldilocks~Venomous~Moondoggie
          Drive like you mean it!!
          ~Elle~

Comment

Originally posted by islandtime View Post
            The squeak is covered under warrenty. There was a TSB on it. Both of mine were done, no charge. Many members here have had it done.
            Is the warrenty only for those with the extended Ford warrenty or is something seperate like the COPS?
            Never grow up. Enjoy life while you can

sigpic

Comment

I know several people who did not have an extended warrenty of any type, but the TSB essentially acknowledged it was a flaw and covered by Ford (basically a recall). That's how my service manager read it, though I was covered anyway.
              sigpic
              Goldilocks~Venomous~Moondoggie
              Drive like you mean it!!
              ~Elle~

Comment

Paul,
                Here is the #04-10-1
                Not certain it is actually a TSB as the title on the document is called Article 04-10-1.

Look here on TBN
                http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forum...ead.php?t=5812
                Mike

sigpic

Comment

I too had the squeak,although i was covered by extended warranty i removed all the fluid from the reservoir and then mixed additive and fluid as directed.That was 6months ago and so far so good.I felt if it didn't work i would take it in.

Comment

I had it early on, less than 2 years old, replaced unit, covered under warranty.
                    ‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗ת‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗
                    \
                    ────────────────/ | \────────────────/
                    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ/ /|\ \ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

NORTHERNBIRD - PETE

Comment

I have just learned to live with it as comes and goes ... When someone asks I just reply "the ole girls arthritis is acting up again ..."
                      sigpicSoaring with My Raven Under Carolina Blue Skies ...

Comment

I had the squeek I think I was still under warranty at the time but I had to agree to pay for the fluid change however the "fix" didn't work and they replaced the entire "rack" at no charge to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X