Another Piece of Retrobird History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Piece of Retrobird History

I recently acquired another piece of retrobird history for my collection. This is the description of the item in the eBay listing:

Thunderbird Launch Photo Laminated From Defunct Wixom Assembly Plant. Removed from wall of engineering meeting room - after the failed launch of the new thunderbird and the closing of the plant. Condition is Used.

I've tried to get more information from the seller and to get his explanation of the "failed launch" comment, but have not received a response.

The poster isn't in perfect shape, but the fact that it exists is pretty cool in my opinion. Not sure if there are anymore out there, but for now I'm treating it as a one of a kind piece of memorabilia. Only thing that would make it better is if they had used the red concept car for the picture!

The strange semi-circles on the corners are Coke bottles holding the poster open. The lamination makes it stiff and it rolls back up on its own when flattened out.

wixom assemby (4).jpg
    21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

nice find Paul

Comment

Very cool, Paul...great addition to your collection.

Comment

Had to be yellow, Paul. It was the very first concept. Really good find.
        Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

Paul, when Evelyn was teaching school she often stored her room decor posters rolled up. The laminated ones when she wanted them up on the wall, she would put the poster between two bath towels and press them with a medium hot iron. Keep the iron moving, pressing out the roll and soon the poster will remain flat.
          Remember NOT too hot & keep the iron moving.

She also says if the laminate is thicker than usual, don't know what that is, the laminate may crack when try to re-roll it back up.

By the way that is a GREAT find.
          Mike

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

Dot, good theory on the color of the car, but then this poster hung in Mark Grassnig's office at Wixom. It's the one I'd really like to have.

2015-10-10 13.14.42.jpg
            21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Nice find, Paul!

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
                Thanks for the tip, Mike.

Dot, good theory on the color of the car, but then this poster hung in Mark Grassnig's office at Wixom. It's the one I'd really like to have.

2015-10-10 13.14.42.jpg
                I saw that one in person in 2003.
                02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
                02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
                03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
                03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
                04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
                04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
                04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
                04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
                05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
                05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
                05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
                - 48&DC

Comment

Originally posted by 5bird7 View Post
                  Had to be yellow, Paul. It was the very first concept. Really good find.
                  Got a chance to ride in a 2002 yellow (or rather concept thereof) in April 2001 when Ford passed the trailers of the cars across America. I'd put in an order for a yellow one with the dealer, and he called me one morning at work to say they had the concept in the lot for 24 hours...if I came right down, he'd take me for a ride...felt like a kid again for about 10 minutes. Yellow is my favorite color, and if I'd bought it, I'd probably still have it - it didn't arrive until the spring of 2002 and I'd already purchased the TB Blue by then.

Comment

Working...
                  X