Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to `rent`an 02-05 in San Fran for an upcoming vacation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to `rent`an 02-05 in San Fran for an upcoming vacation....

Am going on a bucket list golf vacation with a buddy this November to Pebble Beach. The itinerary has us landing in San Francisco (and playing Harding Park) and then driving down the Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey, 17 Mile Drive and stay and play at Pebble Beach. Spyglass, Poppy Hills and Spanish Bay, do a bit of sightseeing and then head back to San Francisco to fly home. If I can locate a sensible rental option for an 02-05, I`d downsize my golf gear and luggage to fit the car, but it seems that the only options being put forth by my travel agent have something called a `Mustang` as the rental vehicle of choice and that just doesnt sit right with me!` Anybody out there have any suggestions....

Jeff,
    I am not sure but I think you will not be able to drive down from San Fran as there is a bridge out at Big Sur. and there is a huge landslide also on the highway in another location. Just a suggestion to check with the California Highway patrol first. Alternate Route( I think) would be 101 south and then take the turn off for Carmel. Good luck with the rental thing

Comment

If I wasn't 4.5 hours south of San Fran I'd consider letting you rent mine.

Comment

Getting to Pebble Beach from San Francisco should not be a problem. All State Highways are open between the two locations.

Finding a '02-05 T-Bird to rent is not feasible. No car rental companies have '02-05 T-Birds anymore.

If you want a Ford product to rent, the Mustang is the way to go. Plenty of room in the trunk for your golf gear.

We rented a 2015 Mustang from Enterprise when our T-Bird developed a problem in Colorado, while heading the Wisconsin Thunder a while back. Lots more room in the Mustang trunk, than in the T-Bird trunk.
        Jerry & Kim's
        2002 Evening Black Premium

See where "Blackie" has been:

Comment

It is my understanding that the 17 mile drive is closed to visitors. You have to be a resident to get through.
          Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

You might try calling La Phil at Thunderbird Specialties 310-589-1000
            He is pretty well connected in CA and may know of one for rent.
            It's worth a try
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts and ideas. I'll begin doing the homework suggested and report my findings back to the site !
              Now if improving my golf game was only this easy........

Comment

Originally posted by sumoscooter View Post
                Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts and ideas. I'll begin doing the homework suggested and report my findings back to the site !
                Now if improving my golf game was only this easy........
                Probably easier than trying to rent a retro.

Comment

Private drop tops available for rent in SF. (You need to dig down in their search feature)
                  Last edited by 007Cruiser; Aug 6, 2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

You might try to find a car dealer with a Thunderbird for sale and ask to rent it. If they say "no" then ask what it would take for an extended test drive. Otherwise rent the Mustang convertible but call a day ahead of time to make sure they really have one for you. I can't be the only one who was promised a certain car until you get to the reservation desk where they tell you they don't have one available.
                    Quickdraw
                    Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
                      You might try to find a car dealer with a Thunderbird for sale and ask to rent it. If they say "no" then ask what it would take for an extended test drive. Otherwise rent the Mustang convertible but call a day ahead of time to make sure they really have one for you. I can't be the only one who was promised a certain car until you get to the reservation desk where they tell you they don't have one available.
                      Airport car rental agencies usually switch rental cars on us all the time!
                      We just got lucky in Colorado because the rental car agency was run by a Ford Dealer, located a few blocks away on the same street.
                      Jerry & Kim's
                      2002 Evening Black Premium

See where "Blackie" has been:

Comment

Originally posted by DavidA View Post
                        It is my understanding that the 17 mile drive is closed to visitors. You have to be a resident to get through.
                        I just drove through 17 Mile two weeks ago - it's a $10.25 "donation" or "toll" or "extortion" but it is interesting to see how that segment lives. The golf courses are pretty dramatic from what I saw, but frankly I've designed much nicer homes in New England. The Deli at the golf course is really pretty good for fancy, really large sandwiches.

Judge Lucid

Comment

Years ago there was such a thing as " Rent a wreck " in California . Assume they are no longer in business . One outfit that is catching on in Europe and other places , with one outlet in the New York area is called " Book a Classic Ltd. " . Seems to really be catching on over there . No wonder all our antiques are leaving North America . For info , if interested, you could try " info@bookaclassic.com " .

Comment

I actually went to Google and spent an hour there looking around. I did locate a young lady with a website (don't go there !) that indicates that she rents her 2004 Red T-Bird by the day or week and that she is/was located in San Francisco. The only trouble is that the website doesn't seem to be active any longer so I'm trying a few other ways to reach out to her to see if that's still a viable option. As I've still got a few months to go before I commit to the Mustang Convertible, I want to try and find a retro Bird if I can!

Comment

So just as an update to all. For the November Monterey trip, I have decided to rent the Mustang Convertible based upon its ability to accommodate our luggage ( 2 sets of bags and golf clubs) per several comments that you've all posted. I suppose that will just make me appreciate my beautiful Bird that much more. But, when we return home in December, I will not be able to drive her as she'll be in winter storage at the cottage. That is not going to happen until next April at the earliest. So so sad.....

Comment

Working...
                              X