Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Traveling from US to Canada

Originally posted by DavidA View Post
    Driving in Canada is just like driving in the US other that kilometers instead of miles. 100 KPH is actually 62 MPH. Just watch your inside speedmeter numbers and you'll be fine.

Aslo, don't worry about automatic tolls, they don't send invoices for them, at least not from Ontario. There is a toll road on the North side of Totonto, but no toll stations. They read your plate and toss out any out of province tickets.

One other thing ... you will need to visit a Canadian bank and exchange your US $$$$ for Canadian $$$$. You can do it at the border crossing but the rate is a little more than at an actual bank. You pay for the convenience.
    Actually David, something has changed.

The Hwy 407 tolls now applies to all vehicles using that toll road. It is probably the only toll road in Ontario that I am aware of other than bridge and tunnel tolls in and out of the country.

So if you drive on the 407 regardless of the domicile of your plate they will bill you to your residence address. If you decide not to pay the toll, the outstanding fee will be applied to your plate renewal due to reciprocal agreements that exist between jurisdictions just like getting a speeding ticket from the Ontario police.

Gord

Drive it like you stole it !!!

Comment

You can't come back. Immigrants are not allowed in the U.S. Once you leave, you are unpatriotic to the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodacious Dog View Post
        You can't come back. Immigrants are not allowed in the U.S. Once you leave, you are unpatriotic to the U.S.
        Lets don't go political with immigration issues. Let the politicians take care of it.
        (posted by acting admin)

Comment

Most phone companies don't require you to pay for international service when traveling to Canada, but I will say that I did not have service the entire time I was there over the summer (about a week at the end of June). I would recommend downloading some music or audio books beforehand while you still have service so that you have something to listen to on your drive. Also make sure you can use your credit card while in Canada. I have a visa credit card and a Discover card, and there was not a single place I went to that accepted the Discover card.

I also recommend going to your bank to get some Canadian cash beforehand. It's just quicker than messing around with cards the whole time

Comment

Working...
          X