Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tail of the dragon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tail of the dragon

    I drove this on a business trip from Walhalla SC to Knoxville TN. Not for the faint of heart and weak brakes. Took Moonshine 15 to the tail of the dragon. I can't remember the name of the road but you just do a Google search on "tail of the dragon" - great drive. I did it in my CTS and had a good time tossing it about the curves. Lots of them too - over 335 in 30 miles or so with lots of hairpins and elevation changes. A fun work out for the suspension
    You have to really work to maintain 50 mph. Beautiful scenery too but you are working too hard to enjoy it much. Next chance I get my black bird is going...

  • #2
    Re: tail of the dragon

    Scott, you need to try it on a sport bike sometime.
    Kennedy & Woods Driving School Graduate.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: tail of the dragon

      But a word of warning when driving (especially on a bike), be cautious for those trying to take it fast ... not uncommon for people to cross the center line when going around curves. Can make for a bad day if you meet someone that way!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: tail of the dragon

        Many car and biker clubs make a weekend stay there an annual event. We did it for three years with our MINI. Can be fun in a group. I've driven it in the 'Bird; not so much fun. The road (US 129) is full of hotdoggers who want to challenge it and you, and they're all over your tail until you pull over for them - not much room to do so. It's uncool to fail at keeping inside the yellow line, but the novices among the challengers can't handle that.

        If you ever travel it, go to the Tail of The Dragon website and get info on the several photographers who work the road. On their sites, you can search the date you were there, and find photos of your car taking the curves.

        318 curves in 11 miles; in Florida we like to contrast that with our 11 curves in 318 miles!

        p.s. My son-in-law's stepson broke his shoulder when they motorcycled it last week.
        - Ted
        Titusville, Florida
        We're all Bozos on this bus.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: tail of the dragon

          Originally posted by sliderule01 View Post
          I drove this on a business trip from Walhalla SC to Knoxville TN. Not for the faint of heart and weak brakes. Took Moonshine 15 to the tail of the dragon. I can't remember the name of the road but you just do a Google search on "tail of the dragon" - great drive. I did it in my CTS and had a good time tossing it about the curves. Lots of them too - over 335 in 30 miles or so with lots of hairpins and elevation changes. A fun work out for the suspension
          You have to really work to maintain 50 mph. Beautiful scenery too but you are working too hard to enjoy it much. Next chance I get my black bird is going...
          Try it on 2 wheels sometime but make sure you are skilled on those 2 wheels. Numerous wrecks on there because of riders that think they can tame the Dragon. You quickly find out how poor a rider you are. It has lately also become a Sheriff's Dep't and Local Police Dep't Magnet in an attempt to slow the bikers down.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: tail of the dragon

            Several of us did it coming from the Thunder and Good
            Vibrations Event at Maggie Valley in 2007.


            It was Fun!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: tail of the dragon

              We have one here in North East Tennessee. 421 "The Snake . . . " 33 miles 489 curves 3 mountains 1 valley
              02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
              02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
              03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
              03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
              04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
              04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
              04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
              04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
              05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
              05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
              05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
              - 48&DC

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: tail of the dragon

                Originally posted by jayred1 View Post
                But a word of warning when driving (especially on a bike), be cautious for those trying to take it fast ... not uncommon for people to cross the center line when going around curves. Can make for a bad day if you meet someone that way!
                If I may chime in here, very true. I have ridden it twice on a bike, once on a V-twin, once on a V8. I was one of the slower riders, because I did not want to come close to the centre line - because of many people coming the other way close to or over the centre line.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: tail of the dragon

                  Originally posted by renedej View Post
                  If I may chime in here, very true. I have ridden it twice on a bike, once on a V-twin, once on a V8. I was one of the slower riders, because I did not want to come close to the centre line - because of many people coming the other way close to or over the centre line.
                  Rene, were you on a Boss Hog ?
                  Kennedy & Woods Driving School Graduate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: tail of the dragon

                    Good point. I admire the Harley riders on the Dragon. As a rule, they're just enjoying themselves. Seems it's the crotch rockets that cause the bad karma and attract the ambulances.
                    - Ted
                    Titusville, Florida
                    We're all Bozos on this bus.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: tail of the dragon

                      I am not brave enough to do it on a bike. Told my wife that she should commit me if I bought a motorcycle - although the BMW bikes are awfully nice :).

                      It would be very easy to get in way over your head driving it. Toss in a couple of egos, and over confidence, and it could be a recipe for disaster. However it was a lot of fun.

                      Reminded me when my wife and I did SCCA ProRally. Nothing like sideways in the gravel in the middle of the night on a road you have never seen before.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: tail of the dragon

                        Went last year at the end of October with a group of(40) Prowlers ( our other touring car ). Fall colors were stunning! Lots to do in the Smokies Area.
                        Best day to do the dragon's tail is Monday , Tuesday to avoid the "weekend warriors" and less traffic. The local law enforcement met us at the beginning of tail and only warned those who were a little heavy on the pedal.
                        Great destination , if someone wants to step up and do this year or next.
                        Although a little late in the game for this year.
                        Would definitely do it again with TBN group.

                        DavidA kinda in your neighborhood

                        Kevin
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: tail of the dragon

                          My first exposure to the Dragon was nearly thirty years ago. I was in Murphy and needed to get back home to Gatlinburg. 441 through the park was closed due to snow, ice and limited visibility. I found 129 on a map and took it.

                          As scary as that icy night time ride was it did not equal the time when pushing the limits of my TVR on those perfectly banked curves I got the brake fluid boiling resulting in a complete loss of brakes with no functioning emergency brake back up.

                          Cherohala Skyway is another beautiful nearby drive which would be better suited to the Thunderbird.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: tail of the dragon

                            We did it as part of DC Thunder and Beyond on 5 October. I believe there were about 15 of us about 20 to 30 feet apart with the Borlas singing. Great sport!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: tail of the dragon

                              Years ago I was in my SVT Focus at the tail of the dragon.
                              I did not know about the photographers until one of my friends seen my car on their homepage.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X