Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get build information on your 2002-2005 Thunderbird.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alamobird View Post

Harry,

Thanks for the info. I was surprised to see that a 2002 sat at the dealer for 5 months before it sold. Possibly indicative of the dealer holding out for a premium over the sticker price for the 2002 models?

Does anyone remember how long the dealers were able to gouge the public before supply caught up to demand?
    They were being pretty heavily discounted in some places by the end of the 03 model year. The dealers' greed turned off plenty of buyers that never came back.
    21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Harry,

Thanks for the info. I was surprised to see that a 2002 sat at the dealer for 5 months before it sold. Possibly indicative of the dealer holding out for a premium over the sticker price for the 2002 models?

Does anyone remember how long the dealers were able to gouge the public before supply caught up to demand?
      Mine had a $10,000 premium until late summer 2002. When I got it in December 2002 the premium cost was off....

Some cars sat on the lot for over a year before being sold.

Quickdraw
      Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Harry,

I dônt know how "demos" work in the states but is it possible that the dealer kept his for a demo. Mine had 5,000 km and was still in the dealerships name, I was told that the dealer had it at his house as a demo and his wife drove it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post

Mine had a $10,000 premium until late summer 2002. When I got it in December 2002 the premium cost was off....

Some cars sat on the lot for over a year before being sold.
          Harry,

Would your database allow you to develop a quick and dirty spread sheet that calculates and sorts the time by model year that dealers held on to these cars before selling them. Sounds like Ford let Dealers shoot themselves and the Retrobird in the foot. They killed demand before it got started.

I don’t recall similar price gouging with the original Mustang. Ford just kept cranking them out and sold a pot load.

Bears get rich, Bulls get rich, and Hogs get slaughtered.

If anyone from the “Big Ford in the Sky” reads our site, maybe they’ll get the message.

Comment

Harry,

Would your database allow you to develop a quick and dirty spread sheet that calculates and sorts the time by model year that dealers held on to these cars before selling them. Sounds like Ford let Dealers shoot themselves and the Retrobird in the foot. They killed demand before it got started.

I don’t recall similar price gouging with the original Mustang. Ford just kept cranking them out and sold a pot load.

Bears get rich, Bulls get rich, and Hogs get slaughtered.

If anyone from the “Big Ford in the Sky” reads our site, maybe they’ll get the message.
            I don't believe that "dealers held on to them" was the problem, rather it was lack of demand. When the dealers couldn't sell them for a markup, the markup came off. I did a breakdown on this topic on a thread that was later trashed by site updates. But here is "average days on lot" for the various colors:
            https://www.thunderbirdnest.com/foru...754#post784754
            Notice how much longer it took a dealer to sell a 2002 RED one compared to a Thunderbird Blue.
            P.S. the reason for excluding retail ordered, A&X plan, Fleet, etc vehicles is that these vehicles were ordered by a specific customer or company and typically did not sit on the lot for more than a day or two. Including these sales would have skewed the results.
            Last edited by Quickdraw; Dec 31, 2020, 11:27 AM.
            Quickdraw

Comment

• Interesting data

Comment

• Harry,

Please give us the scoop on what the Saleen Bonspeed Retrobird began it's life as.

VIN 1FAHP60A32Y100369

Thanks!
                21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

• How can I get info on a 2005 with vin# 1FAHP60AX5Y106285?

Comment

• How can I get info on a 2005 with vin# 1FAHP60AX5Y106285?

Comment

• Originally posted by worcboston View Post
                      How can I get info on a 2005 with vin# 1FAHP60AX5Y106285?

1FAHP60AX5Y106285
                      Dealer: Stillwater Ford, Lincoln-Mercury, Parsippany, NJ
                      Order Date: 2/9/2005
                      Build date: 3/9/2005
                      At Dealer: 4/25/2005
                      Sold Date: 5/3/2005
                      Description: 2005 premium, Platinum Silver body, no hardtop, standard black interior acccent, no SST, 16 spoke machined wheels
                      One Of: 81
                      Dealer Cost: $34,478.15
                      Quickdraw

Comment

• Hi Harry, There is another one for you. 2002 1FAHP60A12Y113167. Thanks much.

Comment

• 1FAHP60A12Y113167
                          Dealer: Sam Galloway Ford, Fort Myers, FL
                          Order Date: 2/13/2002
                          Build date: 3/12/2002
                          At Dealer: 4/5/2002
                          Sold Date: 5/18/2002
                          Description: 2002 premium, Inspiration Yellow body and hardtop, full yellow interior accent, 7 spoke chrome wheels
                          One Of: 1,938
                          Dealer Cost: $36,958.80
                          Quickdraw

Comment

• Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
                            Harry,

Please give us the scoop on what the Saleen Bonspeed Retrobird began it's life as.

VIN 1FAHP60A32Y100369

Thanks!
                            White with full red accent

Limited Edition databases for 007 msg..#26 , PCR sticky, and Cashmere msg.#64

Porthole Authority

2023 calendar

Comment

• Asking for a friend... :-) 1FAH60A355Y100365

Thanks for any information you are willing to share.

Comment

• Hi Harry, please find the info for my Tbird. 2002 1FAHP60A12Y121477

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X