Dominant Hand Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dominant Hand Poll

According to the survey in the post for brain mapping, the items listed showed I was dominate right. But there are many movements & activities that were not listed that I do left handed with greater ease & more frequent than with my right. I think some movements of either arm or hand become a result of practice & training of those muscles and are done with little or no thought. An example of this is as a youngster in Little League I was shown how to be a switch hitter and over the years through youth baseball I became a very good switch hitter, batting equally as well left or right. To this day I can approach the batter's boxes with little thought & bat either way. Certainly don't get a hit as often as I use to but just the same I'm comfortable.

That said I find it very difficult to do certain things with my left hand like use a power saw or knife, brush my teeth or throw a ball and I certainly can not write with my left.
    Mike

sigpic

Comment

There's no option for "Spouse"?? In this house, my husband has the dominant hand. I do a lot of "yes dearing".
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LA PHIL View Post
        Thanks for starting this thread and poll Marty.

I too was 'born' left-handed. Does anyone really get 'trained' to be a leftie?
        As some have said on the other thread (and this goes back to the 1950's at least for me) they were punished or admonished not to use their left hand when writing. I myself had an aunt who would constantly take the pencil or crayon out of my left hand and place it in my right. Her efforts failed to convert me.

And when I have to cut meat when eating I use my left to cut the meat then put the knife down and use the fork in my left hand.

So in this new kinder and gentler world where we don't force children to learn which hand to use will we see an increased percentage of lefties as opposed to the bad old days? If there is such a study I would think the answer is "yes" there are more left handers than in years past.

To those Lefties out there who are really interested in this I recommend the book "Lefties" by Jack Fincher. It's not too technical and has some interesting facts and tidbits.
        Keeper of the Flames
        sigpic

Comment

Are there also left footers ?

Comment

Ask Daniel Day-Lewis (that's for Rusty since he hasn't commented lately).

But seriously, I think left-handers would tend to be 'left-footers' too.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
              Are there also left footers ?
              Yes I'm left footed too. I kick with my left foot.

My dominant eye is also the left one. This is per my eye doctor.
              Keeper of the Flames
              sigpic

Comment

How about left chewers? The teeth on my left side gave out first..retirement is everything it's cracked up to be, getting old isn't worth sh.t.........

Comment

I write with my left hand, throw with my left hand, use the mouse with my left hand (but have the buttons set for a "righty", bat "righty" and kick "righty"

Comment

I write left handed and do most everything else as a righty (bat, catch, throw, mouse, power tools, shave, shoot, etc.)
                    http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/membe...00&ppuser=1190
                    '03 T-Bird -Torch Red
                    '05 T-Bird - Inca Gold
                    '13 Mustang BOSS 302
                    '

Comment

My best friend growing up wrote and threw lefty, but he batted and played golf righty.
                      PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
                      Built April 22, 2002
                      Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

I'm left handed but use right hand for most things except writing, mousing and using knife. Throw right handed but prefer two hands shooting basketball.

Hated those old right sided school desks.

Not sure I could shift left handed.
                        I read text written backwards pretty easily.
                        Have trouble with some doors that open on right side.

Comment

I used to work at a dry cleaners and the iron and ironing board were set for a right handed person, so I was forced to iron right handed. Sometimes I would go to the other side of the board to do left, but the steam button was in the wrong place. My boss used to give me grief because I didn't use both hands, one to move the garment and one to iron. That had nothing to do with being right or left handed, that had to do with having arms like a danged tyrannosaurus; way too short! I also had problems with square dancing in grade school "alamande left, no your other left"

Comment

Interesting results so far. As of now, of the total sample size of 69, this puts the percentage of lefties at 24% and of the total of 63 lefties and righties this puts the percentage at 28%. This is more than the accepted 10% of lefties in the overall human population. It is a given that the sample size is too small as of now for us to trust that it is a true representation of the overall population.
                            I also would concede that this poll is biased towards left handers as it seeks input in a direct manner. As is often the case, people with unique abilities, talents, or gifts usually take pride in their uniqueness so are more likely to offer their input. Or perhaps the uniqueness of the Thunderbird seems to draw an abnormal amount of unique people to it and thus to TBN.
                            Keeper of the Flames
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderBubba View Post
                              Or perhaps the uniqueness of the Thunderbird seems to draw an abnormal amount of unique people to it and thus to TBN.
                              And that's what I had in mind, when I suggested the poll.
                              - Ted
                              Titusville, Florida
                              We're all Bozos on this bus.

Comment

Originally posted by hayjulz View Post
                                I used to work at a dry cleaners and the iron and ironing board were set for a right handed person, so I was forced to iron right handed. Sometimes I would go to the other side of the board to do left, but the steam button was in the wrong place. My boss used to give me grief because I didn't use both hands, one to move the garment and one to iron. That had nothing to do with being right or left handed, that had to do with having arms like a danged tyrannosaurus; way too short! I also had problems with square dancing in grade school "alamande left, no your other left"

Just wondering now, what side of the bed do left handers prefer .

Comment

Working...
                                X