Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for selling my 2002 inspiration yellow thunderbird

with a baby on the way, i have no choice but to sell my tbird

it has around 118,000 miles (i will have to check) and i will say it is in fair cosmetic condition overall, runs just fine...there are tears in the seats

now i'm not sure if i should bother posting it in the classifieds here or craigslist or just try to trade it in (i know normally that isn't the best option but I will be buying a new car)

suggestions welcome, especially from those who have sold their tbirds or any other cars recently

Don't know where you live, but received a fair price for my 02 at Texas Direct Auto in Houston. Don't know if they do out of territory bids or not?
    Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even. Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by dcrichards View Post
      Don't know where you live, but received a fair price for my 02 at Texas Direct Auto in Houston. Don't know if they do out of territory bids or not?
      This is just a guess, but I'm thinking he lives in Las Vegas:

Snip20180620_1.png

Comment

One thing to think about is: In Nevada the car purchase tax is 8.1% of the purchase price less the trade in amount. So if you sell outright for example at $8,000 that will increase your tax on a new purchase by $648 . Always a factor in states that subtract your trade in value from the tax amount.

Comment

I prefer selling it on Craigslist but just to be sure you're doing the right thing, find out what a car dealer would offer you, not what the trade-in would be. He'll auction it off so his offer will be less than its wholesale value. If you start at say $8-9000 and you get $7500 or $6500 it would be a nice downpayment on your new car. I don't know how long you've had the car or what you paid for it, but since the car is not in above average condition, it will be hard to get more than $8-9K as Ric (11th Gen) said.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking he lives in Las Vegas:

Snip20180620_1.png
            To be fair, if you read the posts in Latest Activity mode this information does not show. (I wish it did, but I guess it would require special programing which the TBN owners/administrators are trying to avoid.)
            21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by 11TH GEN View Post
              One thing to think about is: In Nevada the car purchase tax is 8.1% of the purchase price less the trade in amount. So if you sell outright for example at $8,000 that will increase your tax on a new purchase by $648 . Always a factor in states that subtract your trade in value from the tax amount.
              Ric makes an excellent point. I bought a new Ford F150 last October and just traded in my 2010 Lincoln Town Car. For me, it was easier to be done with it. Team Ford Lincoln was offering me $6,000 which saved me $486 in sales tax since they deducted the trade in value from the purchase amount. I figure I probably could have gotten about $7,000 on Craigslist so in the end I probably didn't really lose all that much.

BTW, Thunderbirds of Las Vegas is having it's monthly dinner this Saturday, June 23 at The Cheesecake Factory (160 S Green Valley Parkway in Henderson). Bring your wife (or girlfriend) and come over and join us. Would enjoy meeting you. It's a good group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by EllisonCal View Post
                I prefer selling it on Craigslist but just to be sure you're doing the right thing, find out what a car dealer would offer you, not what the trade-in would be. He'll auction it off so his offer will be less than its wholesale value. If you start at say $8-9000 and you get $7500 or $6500 it would be a nice downpayment on your new car. I don't know how long you've had the car or what you paid for it, but since the car is not in above average condition, it will be hard to get more than $8-9K as Ric (11th Gen) said.
                I used $8K as a math example only ( never mentioned $9K ) to point out the tax savings if you trade. Let's say the dealer allows you $6K on a trade. That would be like getting $6,486 from a private sale. IE: $6K less you would be paying 8.1% on.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post

To be fair, if you read the posts in Latest Activity mode this information does not show. (I wish it did, but I guess it would require special programing which the TBN owners/administrators are trying to avoid.)
                  Paul, I always pull up by 1) today's posts, and then 2) latest activity. Mine shows just what I copied and pasted. Does yours show different?

Comment

I don't have latest activity

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post

Paul, I always pull up by 1) today's posts, and then 2) latest activity. Mine shows just what I copied and pasted. Does yours show different?
                      I have mine set on latest activity directly. The heading on your reply looks like this except the avatar is tiny (actually the date & time is on the far right of the page):

AZTBAZTB replied

Today, 01:20 PM
                      21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post

I have mine set on latest activity directly. The heading on your reply looks like this except the avatar is tiny (actually the date & time is on the far right of the page):

AZTBAZTB replied

Today, 01:20 PM
                        I set mine on "latest activity" directly as you did, Paul...here's what my info looks like on the left side of each of my posts:

Snip20180620_2.png

Comment

Shows in today's posts.
                          02 Nieman Marcus-SS htp-f/sil. #165 - 21 states-DC
                          02 TB-TB htp-p/blue acc.-Nancy Gioia-28 states-DC
                          03 007-Coral htp-f/white acc. #468 7 states
                          03 WW-WW htp-p/red 8 states
                          04 VMG-VMG htp-p/white - 20 states-DC
                          04 Merlot- Merlot htp-sand- B. Grassnig-48 states-DC
                          04 TR-TR htp-blk 20 states-DC
                          04 LIB-LIB htp-p/white 16 states-DC
                          05 Cashmere htp-stone #408 21 states-DC
                          05 Dusk Rose-DR htp-cashmere seats - 48&DC
                          05 IG-IG htp-p/white #82
                          - 48&DC

Comment

I am not viewing now from Today's Posts...here's where I'm viewing from and what I'm seeing:

Snip20180620_3.png

Comment

Looks like Con has maybe two suggestions so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X