Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Question

Nesters,

Due to financial conditions, I will soon be parting with my 2004 PCR (# 0004/1000) and wanted to get some
    recommendations as to the best way to sell. Should I start with an ad here to keep it in the family, so to
    speak, or has anyone had positive experience with a place like Gateway Classics or the like? Would like it
    to find a good home with someone who cares.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

- iSpy

Best advice that I can offer would be to put a realistic price on it. Tbird owners love their cars so much that they tend to overestimate their value. Every buyer likes to get the seller down a bit so use a price that allows for a little negotiating. Hope it all goes well for you.

Comment

Take a look at BringATrailer web site, Don't laugh -- I have friends that have sold $140,000 vintage Corvettes on that web site and done quite well.

I have sold a 1961 Corvette through a consignment shop similar to Gateway Classics, called "Just Toys" in Orlando. It was a so-so experience. I put out a number that I would settle on to move the car, anything above that the consignment dealer would get. The result was that they put a "moon shot" price on the car about 30% higher than the prevailing market (many such shops work on a percentage instead). It took 8 months for reality to set in whereas the company dropped the price repeatedly until the car sold. I wound up getting a "top of the market" price for the car and the company got maybe 2% or so after storing, advertising and maintaining the car all that time. So they didn't make a killing for sure... Since then I've always sold my cars on eBay or Craigslist, but would try BringATrailer next time...

Sounds like you may be a bit pressed to develop some cash quickly, so I'm not sure a consignment shop would make that happen real fast...

Comment

Realistic price, eBay, and BringATrailer. Excellent suggestions and much appreciated!

-iSpy

Comment

Of course, you can also try to sell it here (didn't mean to imply otherwise) but my experience trying to sell Corvettes on vintage hobbyist sites is that it has to be bargain priced to move and my cars have always been nice enough to ask for a premium when selling, and, in a wider market I've always gotten it.

Comment

I sell a few cars a year and from experience have learned that the ad has to capture a potential buyers attention. 1. plenty of high quality pictures, under the hood, interior and several angles. 2. words matter. like, clean carfax, service records, no disappointment, just serviced, ( if accurate, brand new battery, brakes, new tires with warranty,) can't tell you how many cars I have spent $600 or so on tires and a battery, even hanging pads and bringing attention to it has gotten me at least another $1K for the car. Most people don't expect that stuff on a used car but when it's done they will pay a premium for it. Anyway, works for me, Good luck with your sale.

Comment

Originally posted by 11TH GEN View Post
              I sell a few cars a year and from experience have learned that the ad has to capture a potential buyers attention. 1. plenty of high quality pictures, under the hood, interior and several angles. 2. words matter. like, clean carfax, service records, no disappointment, just serviced, ( if accurate, brand new battery, brakes, new tires with warranty,) can't tell you how many cars I have spent $600 or so on tires and a battery, even hanging pads and bringing attention to it has gotten me at least another $1K for the car. Most people don't expect that stuff on a used car but when it's done they will pay a premium for it. Anyway, works for me, Good luck with your sale.
              And if you can add a video, so much the better !
              Here is the eBay video that sold my 1967 Chevelle SS-396:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWVX...ature=youtu.be

Comment

I agree with everything said above, and especially the new tires. It is amazing how people react when they don't have to buy a set of 235/55-17s which you can buy for very little. You will easily get back the price in your sale. And detail the heck of the car, get some RaggTopp cleaner and there is a recipe that also uses a small amount of bleach, used a few times on my Sand Tops and it works well.
                sigpic

Comment

The "cleaner" the car the easier the sale, it goes without saying...even simple things like clouded headlight enclosures, faded front and rear TBird emblems and rock dings can bring the "look" down. Its just a few bucks to fix such things and it can make a big difference in the curb appeal..

Comment

All great suggestions! Sounds like I've got a little work to do, but it can help result in a better sale.
                    Thanks, folks!

-iSpy

Comment

1. Price
                      2. Price
                      3. Price

Post it anywhere you can for free. In Chicago craigslist is very popular. 2 weeks ago I sold a car in 14 hours posted on CL. They charge $5 now. Lots of cars are sold on Facebook. I've bought and sold cars right here on TBN too.

Comment

Well it's already been said, but a fair and realistic price is the key. I see many 02-05 Thunderbirds on eBay and Gateway Classic Cars but most just languish there. I agree there is a tendancy for owners of our cars to overvalue them.

Comment

I've also sold cars on Craiglist in a short period for very good money...

Just a word of caution, unlike some of the other venues, Craiglist sales often result in a face-to-face meetup with the buyer. Folks have been ripped off, hurt and worse during some of these transactions. There are some bad people out there.

I know one Craiglist seller that will only do business in the parking lot of his local police station - a bit paranoid ? But he's never had a problem.

Don't know about Facebook (or Twitter, or Instagram, or Tik-Tok, etc), never had an account there and never will...

Comment

I bought Black Beauty off of Craigslist. We both had to drive over 200 miles to do the deal. I paid about 14K and she had 40K on the clock...that was 9 years ago..now have 110K good buy!

Comment

I also drive a PCR bird. I would value the cars at $13,500 to $15,500 depending on condition. A lot also depends on location. I would start by advertising here on the TBN forum and there is a Facebook site for retro birds. Just be patient, there are buyers out there, you just have to find the right one. Sorry to hear your need to sell your bird, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X