Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 007Cruiser View Post
    I’m holding out for the new Edsel.
    ...a battery-powered Edsel with a horse collar grill - now there's a collision of cultures!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobnoir1 View Post

Hey, if they can have success with a D-celled Mustang, more power to them!
      Tesla’s batteries may be cylindrical like D cells.
      Does anyone know the actual individual Tesla battery dimensions?
      2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
      2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
      2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
      26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post

Tesla’s batteries may be cylindrical like D cells.
        Does anyone know the actual individual Tesla battery dimensions?
        https://www.google.com/search?source...ile-gws-wiz-hp
        Quickdraw
        Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

And replacements are only $10-12,000. Probably better to lease.

Comment

I've seen ads all winter for the new Lincoln Corsair,,,,,,guess where Ford last used that name?? Say between '58 and '60..

Comment

Originally posted by Elky64 View Post
              I've seen ads all winter for the new Lincoln Corsair,,,,,,guess where Ford last used that name?? Say between '58 and '60..
              That was an Edsel model one down from the Edsel Citation, which by the way Chevy used in the 80's

Comment

Did you know:

A Tesla needs to be plugged in at all times if you want maximum range when planing a trip.

If not plugged in at home or at a Motel, the batteries lose 3.5 miles a day due to internal drain.

Or, if the car sits for 20 days you will have to subtract 70 miles driving distance. This might not be a linear drain. Could be better or worse.
                HKS

Comment

In other words, it’s like me as I seem to be losing energy every day.

Comment

Yep! And ,like us, it will only get worse as it gets older.

Comment

Did you know:

A Tesla needs to be plugged in at all times if you want maximum range when planing a trip.

HKS
                      Buy a very long extension cord. Don't leave home without it.

Technology has a way to go before everybody becomes a two electric car family if any travel is their plans. Just getting there is more than half the fun in an all electric vehicle.
                      "Decades of dependence on fast-flowing liquid hydrocarbons for fuel have left little tolerance for spending many minutes more plugged in and stationary, waiting for lithium-ion cells to recharge. So when it comes to bench-racing electric vehicles, the only statistic most people care about is how far it can go before you need to plug it in again. ... The Tesla Model 3 traveled farthest, reaching 234 miles (377km)—75 percent of its EPA range—before dropping below 70mph."

For the time being, owning at least one hybrid would seem to make the most sense to me if the object is to save the planet, but not totally tie yourself down while doing it. By chance, I ended up in a Hertz Ford Fusion hybrid in Dallas a couple of years ago. It wouldn't win any drag races, but I did not feel unsafe driving it on the Dallas freeways.

Again by chance, we drove a rented Toyota C-HR hybrid around Spain for 918 miles. Averaged 38.2 MPG, with mostly highway driving. Biggest downside was that the pedestrians couldn't hear you coming. Admittedly it was a much smaller car than I prefer, but it's too hard to find a place to park a large car in Europe. I have no idea how you take a trip with 5 grandkids.

All that said, I still prefer the Suburban as my daily driver.
                      Last edited by Alamobird; Jan 24, 2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Car and Driver’s review:

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/c-hr

Comment

Originally posted by Alamobird View Post

Buy a very long extension cord. Don't leave home without it.

Technology has a way to go before everybody becomes a two electric car family if any travel is their your plans. Just getting there is more than half the fun in an all electric vehicle.
                          "Decades of dependence on fast-flowing liquid hydrocarbons for fuel have left little tolerance for spending many minutes more plugged in and stationary, waiting for lithium-ion cells to recharge. So when it comes to bench-racing electric vehicles, the only statistic most people care about is how far it can go before you need to plug it in again. ... The Tesla Model 3 traveled farthest, reaching 234 miles (377km)—75 percent of its EPA range—before dropping below 70mph."

For the time being, owning at least one hybrid would seem to make the most sense to me if the object is to save the planet, but not totally tie yourself down while doing it. By chance, I ended up in a Hertz Ford Fusion hybrid in Dallas a couple of years ago. It wouldn't win any drag races, but I did not feel unsafe driving it on the Dallas freeways.

Again by chance, we drove a rented Toyota C-HR hybrid around Spain for 918 miles. Averaged 38.2 MPG, with mostly highway driving. Biggest downside was that the pedestrians couldn't hear you coming. Admittedly it was a much smaller car than I prefer, but it's too hard to find a place to park a large car in Europe. I have no idea how you take a trip with 5 grandkids.

All that said, I still prefer the Suburban as my daily driver.
                          Suburban Is a quiet car because it is built on a frame and the body can then be insulated from the frame, thus reducing road noise greatly.
                          I spent many hours test driving new cars last year. Manny used to have frames, but are all Uni-body now. That frame must add a lot of extra cost.
                          Spending extra money for a quiet car may be OK if it saves your hearing (young people). Must of us have already lost some hearing.
                          Hermann

Noisy cars I test I went for a test drive in:
                          Ford Escape
                          Mercury
                          Lincoln Aviator, Continental, MKZ
                          Chevy SUVs
                          2019 BMW I6
                          I forgot the other ones
                          The ones built on frames like the Suburban cost $70,00+

P.S. Driving with H rated tires does reduce road noise. But, you a greater chance of getting a bad new tire.
                          You may need to put up with an out of balance tire that needs road force balancing or replacement. Happened to me at least twice in the last few years.
                          Last edited by HKS; Jan 24, 2021, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Suburban Is a quiet car because it is built on a frame and the body can then be insulated from the frame, thus reducing road noise greatly.
                            I spent many hours test driving new cars last year. Manny used to have frames, but are all Uni-body now. That frame must add a lot of extra cost.
                            Spending extra money for a quiet car may be OK if it saves your hearing (young people). Must of us have already lost some hearing.
                            Hermann
                            Noisy cars I test I went for a test drive in:
                            Ford Escape
                            Mercury
                            Lincoln Aviator, Continental, MKZ
                            Chevy SUVs
                            2019 BMW I6
                            I forgot the other ones
                            The ones built on frames like the Suburban cost $70,00+
                            P.S. Driving with H rated tires does reduce road noise. But, you a greater chance of getting a bad new tire.
                            You may need to put up with an out of balance tire that needs road force balancing or replacement. Happened to me at least twice in the last few years.
                            Interesting stuff, Hermann...I never knew most of what you've penned here.

Comment

Herman I'm wondering if you had an opportunity to test drive the Suburu models & your thoughts.
                              Mike

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steelblue5505 View Post
                                Herman I'm wondering if you had an opportunity to test drive the Suburu models & your thoughts.
                                Mike,
                                I haven't given up on finding a quiet SUV.
                                By the way, Ron McCloud always got H rated (120mph) tires, and they would be much quieter.on his Tbirds.

Toyota makes a $70,000 Suburban like vehicle that should be quiet.
                                By quiet I don't mean hearing bumps in the road. It is white noise (hiss) that a concrete highway makes unless the tires can absorb the noise.

What model Subaru do you recommend I try out?

Comment

Working...
                                X