No announcement yet.

Ford re files trademark to keep the Thunderbird name plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a 2017 Outback wagon with the 258 HP V/6. This is the most quiet car we have ever owned. When at a stop light I find myself looking at the tach to see if it is running. Oh yeah and BTW it is F A S T

Comment

Originally posted by carntz View Post
      We have a 2017 Outback wagon with the 258 HP V/6. This is the most quiet car we have ever owned. When at a stop light I find myself looking at the tach to see if it is running. Oh yeah and BTW it is F A S T
      Great.
      Just to be clear. I only object to the noise caused by concrete paved highways. My cars are quiet on new asphalt.

I drove a 2.3l Lincoln MKZ that had active noise cancelling. It was cancelling engine noise.

I want road noise cancelling and I want o hear the engine when I put he pedal to the metal.
      It is possible to cancel road noise but it take a more sophisticated system of microphones in side the cabin.
      HKS
      Last edited by HKS; Jan 25, 2021, 08:32 AM.
      2002 TB Motor Trend COTY Blue/White/Full #24737 (One of 291)
      2021 Explorer XLT Sport 2.3L 300HP/310FP color RollingThunder
      2015 Passat SE TDI 150HP/236FP (40MpgCity47MpgHW) 720MR
      26Mpg in traffic jam. Skill required to get 40+mpg in town.

Comment

Herman,
        What model Subaru do you recommend I try out?
        LOL
        That's exactly what I thought you would be able to suggest to me.
        Mike

sigpic

Comment

Hermann..,..you should visit New Jersey. We rarely do concrete. It’s mostly just on bridges.

Comment

Originally posted by HKS View Post
            Did you know:

A Tesla needs to be plugged in at all times if you want maximum range when planing a trip.

If not plugged in at home or at a Motel, the batteries lose 3.5 miles a day due to internal drain.

Or, if the car sits for 20 days you will have to subtract 70 miles driving distance. This might not be a linear drain. Could be better or worse.
            HKS
            12 “ of snow and still coming down in Lincoln Ne. I want to see battery powered snow plows on county roads.

Comment

My sister owns an Outback and just loves it. However, Outback is no longer available with V6. They do have a 2.4 liter turbo engine rated at 260 HP. I'm not sure they offer a V6 anymore in their SUV's.

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post

My sister owns an Outback and just loves it. However, Outback is no longer available with V6. They do have a 2.4 liter turbo engine rated at 260 HP. I'm not sure they offer a V6 anymore in their SUV's.
                Looks like you are right that the 3.6 V/6 is not offered in the Subaru Outback. Sad, as I have seen this before with Mustang as well since Ford is no longer offering the V/6 in favor of the 4 turbo. In both cases the V/6 produced the same horsepower on 87 and 4 needs premium. I really wonder if there is any real savings since the turbo on both the Subaru and the Mustang turbo have a higher base price. Personally I prefer naturally aspirated from the stand point of one less thing to break and you can bet that turbo is super expensive to fix.

Comment

Personally I prefer naturally aspirated from the stand point of one less thing to break and you can bet that turbo is super expensive to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by AZTB View Post

Times 2

Comment

I believe this trademark registration protects the thunderbird name on all products and protects the licensing on ALL thunderbird parts and memorabilia.
                      Ford over the years has been very aggressive on product licensing.
                      sigpic

Comment

The big advantage to a Turbo charged engine is additional torque at lower engine rpm. With just 8 pounds of boost it is equivalent to almost a doubling of engine displacement for torque at lower rpms. A 3.5 liter SHO develops 350 foot pounds of torque at 1500 rpm. that is barely above idle! A seven liter Ford V8 needs to run at a much higher RPM to approach 350 ft/lbs of torque. Most modern diesel engines use Turbos to increase Torque at lower rpms and they are built stronger to withstand the higher power output. I hope the new gasoline powered Turbo motors have been strengthened too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EllisonCal View Post
                          The big advantage to a Turbo charged engine is additional torque at lower engine rpm. With just 8 pounds of boost it is equivalent to almost a doubling of engine displacement for torque at lower rpms. A 3.5 liter SHO develops 350 foot pounds of torque at 1500 rpm. that is barely above idle! A seven liter Ford V8 needs to run at a much higher RPM to approach 350 ft/lbs of torque. Most modern diesel engines use Turbos to increase Torque at lower rpms and they are built stronger to withstand the higher power output. I hope the new gasoline powered Turbo motors have been strengthened too.
                          The turbo's power comes from scavenging the exhaust using back pressure to run the turbo.
                          That means the exhaust system can be less restrictive in order to supply needed back pressure.

Back pressure is required to reduce pollution which is caused when fuel oxygen and nitrogen are burnt under pressure. In other words back pressure mixes some exhaust with the new fuel-air mixture of the next compression stroke.

Feel free to correct me or elaborate.
                          HKS

P.S. Turbochargers would be easy to repair if the engine is mounted in line like the 2020, 2.3liter, 310HP Mustang. Not sideways and up against the firewall..
                          Last edited by HKS; Jan 26, 2021, 06:09 AM.

Comment

As an FYI, if anyone has a Subaru with a V6, then somebody swapped it in. The Subaru six cylinder is a boxer. Same as the four-cylinder 2 more cyls. A boxer is aka a pancake, or a flat 2,4,6,8 12 cylinder laid out with the cylinders at 180 degrees to each other.Many manufacturers have used this layout since the beginning of cars and motorcycles.
                            As of 2021I don't think you can get the 6 cyl in the outback.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
                              The fact that Ford spent maybe $200 to keep the Thunderbird name for another 10 years is meaningless...
                              I agree. Just keeping the name just in case or so no one else will pick up the name.
                              Be good and if you can't be good be careful.

Comment

Working...
                              X