X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Gobird View Post

That was a pic at the glass house during an event. Not a real Ford pic. I was there.
      I didn’t infer it was a Ford photo…. I was there too. Just sharing my opinion of what the car should look like.

2020 CanAm Spyder
      2021 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by DavidA View Post

There is a work-around that they can't tell you. Simply tell them the tires are for a classic car like a 56 Ford or any other car like that. Do NOT tell them it's for a modern car. The DOT codes are not required on vintage cars,
        Mmmm....that should be interestng since vintage tire sizes were measured differently and don't have the same profile that you would want on your retro thunderbird nor are they radial.....almost all vintage tires are skinny profike, bias ply (which you do NOT want). Let us know what happens.

Comment

From the Diamond Back Q&A page.... (they also have a page displaying conversions for tire size of prior decades to current year)

Capture.JPG
          Bird is the word.....
          Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyFrye View Post
            From the Diamond Back Q&A page.... (they also have a page displaying conversions for tire size of prior decades to current year)

Capture.JPG
            I had heard it was best not to be biased ;-)
            Life without passion is no life at all.
            Sean Combs

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
              I've seen a number of members who have wide white wall tires on their Thunderbirds and really like the look. I want to go with 235/55/17 tires. If you have white walls on this tire size, what is the width--2.25, 2.5, 2.75, or 3"? And where did you get them? And did you have any trouble getting a auto tire place to install the 55s over the 50 listed as the proper tire for the car?

Thanks!
              Here's what Coker says they offer for the Birds
              https://www.cokertire.com/p235-55r17...wall-tire.html
              A bit steep for my shrinking wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by JerriLampon View Post

Do NOT buy Coker tires....period.
                They are notorious for bad quality, ride problems and poor construction.
                A myriad of my vintage Corvette pals have had them and they are trouble.
                I had them on my '67 Chevelle SS and they rode poorly and had weird scallops on the sidewall of each tire.

Now if you just want to experiment with the white wall look "on the cheap" you can still buy Port-A-Walls (yeah I'm old):
                http://www.portawallshop.com/

Screenshot 2021-10-30 151446.png
                Last edited by Frank Dreano; Oct 30, 2021, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JerriLampon View Post

Coker is one of several distributors for this brand, American Tire, made in the U.S., but I've not found any specifics about who they are.
                  Mileage looks fairly good at 45k and they fit the New 'Birds. I"m not looking to drag or oval race, so they might be a good
                  option for Boulevard Cruisin' or shows.
                  But, I'm with you, Jerri -- that's why I don't drive an exotica car. The tire costs are somewhat radial, uh, radical.

Comment

I put four Ohtsu tires on my car for the price of one of those.

Comment

Here's a BF Goodrich carried by Coker. It's from a 2003 on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/32480297033...p2047675.l2557
                      s-l1600-1.jpg
                      'Seems to fit OK.

Comment

Thanks, Robert,

I'm looking for a wider white wall. But I just can't bring myself up to telling Coker tires that it's for another car rather than the T-Bird. I'm going to have to though since there doesn't seem to be any other way to get the wide white walls.

Comment

Thanks, Robert,

I'm looking for a wider white wall. But I just can't bring myself up to telling Coker tires that it's for another car rather than the T-Bird. I'm going to have to though since there doesn't seem to be any other way to get the wide white walls.
                          Well, you could always use either Anvil Tire Paint or Portawalls, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc7wKEBy0ac

Comment

Thanks, Robert,

You can’t just order by size?

Comment

I tried portawalls once on an old Buick special, but the minute I went on the highway, they started flopping in the wind. I'll look into the paint option.

When I called Coker and Diamond Back, they both ask for the year of the car. Anything after 1970s they can't do because of the DOT.

If anyone knows how I can get 2 1/2-3" white walls, please let me know. This is the best site--everyone is helpful--Thanks! So I'll keep trying to find these tires.

Comment

I put a set of Portawalls on my '57 Chevy back in the day and sealed the edges with a thin layer of rubber cement. Worked perfectly, didn't flop at all.
                                'Looks like you have some great options here. Post some pics when you find the solution that suits.

Comment

Working...
                                X