Traveling from US to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling from US to Canada

I think I may have a driving trip later this year that will include a leg thru Canada. Probably enter Canada at Montreal or Toronto then head toward Detroit to reenter the US. I have never driven in Canada. Looking for any tips to make it an enjoyable drive.
    What do I need to think about other than a passport and a credit card?
    - International drivers licence? (I don't think so)
    - Insurance rider on my car? (State Farm)
    - Carry car registration? (Not required where I live)
    Never grow up. Enjoy life while you can

sigpic

Re: Traveling from US to Canada

Make sure all your COPS are up and running
    sigpic

Comment

You will need proof of insurance. This link may help, scroll down to traffic section.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

Comment

Don't confuse Kilometers speed signs with MPH

easy to remember, just multiply the posted kilometer speed by .6 example 40K = just about 24 mph
        80K = just about 50
        104K = just about 65

Other than speed confusion Canada's road laws very similar to ours.

Need to drive with headlights on. Always on SPLs wire change is not good enough. Canada has determined SPLs are too low to the ground to be effective but I think a it would take a really uptight Canadian policeman to ticket you for this.
        Mike

sigpic

Comment

You don't need an international driver's license. You will need the registration if you get stopped. It's not necessary to have your headlights on. Check with your insurance company but most will cover you in all 50 states and Canada.
          Some other points:

- most provinces have a reciprocal agreement with the states on demerit points, so if you get a ticket here, it will show up on your license at home
          - average gas price per litre for premium has been hovering around $1.40. That's about $5.32 per US gallon
          - radar detectors are illegal in Ontario and will be seized
          - speed limits on major highways are usually 100 KPH (62 MPH) but most traffic moves at between 120 (75) and 140 (87)
          - Ontario has hefty fines for speeding, ranging up to $10,000. 6 months jail and vehicle seizure for 50+KPH over the limit
          - you can pass on the right if done safely
          - crossing the border to Detroit is usually faster via the tunnel than the bridge because of the number of trucks using the bridge
          - hand held cell phone use is illegal while driving, including texting or watching movies (!)
          Last edited by kbrighton; Jun 3, 2011, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by steelblue5505 View Post
            Need to drive with headlights on. Always on SPLs wire change is not good enough. Canada has determined SPLs are too low to the ground to be effective but I think a it would take a really uptight Canadian policeman to ticket you for this.
            My Bird (and several others), imputed from the US passed the safety check and the subsequent import inspection, with the SPLs activated as the DRL. These are acceptable as DRL. Officially their existence (on or off) does not adhere to Canadian standards (certainly not an issue for visitors).
            And, as a visitor you wouldn't be required to either modify your car or need to run with your headlights on during daylight hours. Your Bird will be accepted w/o DRLs.
            Passport, Drivers Licence, proof of Insurance and Ownership as mentioned above should be available. However, it would be best to practice, before you get to the border, adding "eh" to the end of your sentences.

Comment

Driving in Canada is just like driving in the US other that kilometers instead of miles. 100 KPH is actually 62 MPH. Just watch your inside speedmeter numbers and you'll be fine.

Aslo, don't worry about automatic tolls, they don't send invoices for them, at least not from Ontario. There is a toll road on the North side of Totonto, but no toll stations. They read your plate and toss out any out of province tickets.

One other thing ... you will need to visit a Canadian bank and exchange your US $$$$ for Canadian $$$$. You can do it at the border crossing but the rate is a little more than at an actual bank. You pay for the convenience.
              Unbelivable TBN trips including ALL of the lower 48 States plus 9 Canadian Provinces, 8 European Countries, 3 Caribbean Countries, Countless National Parks and have attended well over 100 TBN Events since 2001 and counting. Best of all ... fabulous friends.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD View Post
                I think I may have a driving trip later this year that will include a leg thru Canada. Probably enter Canada at Montreal or Toronto then head toward Detroit to reenter the US. I have never driven in Canada. Looking for any tips to make it an enjoyable drive.
                What do I need to think about other than a passport and a credit card?
                - International drivers licence? (I don't think so)
                - Insurance rider on my car? (State Farm)
                - Carry car registration? (Not required where I live)
                There are about 3 or 4 international crossings (coming west)between Montreal and Toronto (but not close to Toronto, on Lake Ontario). Next one would be Niagara Falls and Buffalo which is a common crossing for people going from N.Y. state to Michigan (Detroit and Port Huron).

One more caution, don't cary any firearm crossing over. That is a no, no.

ps. If you come accross at Niagara or Buffalo and take the scenic route (#3 west towards London) , stop in at Delhi for a cold one.

Comment

This more than likely doesn't pertain to you, but if you have any youthful indiscretions that resulted in your name going into the records of the U.S. criminal justice system you may want to discuss entry requirements with the Canadian authorities.

The Canadian border patrol has access to the same records that American law enforcement agencies do. It seems that certain past offenses (no matter how far in the past) will result in denial of entry into the country without special permission from a Canadian court official. This generally involves time and money to get the arrangements made. In other words, it probably isn't going to happen while you are waiting at the border crossing.
                  21 years, 174K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2BIRD View Post
                    This more than likely doesn't pertain to you, but if you have any youthful indiscretions that resulted in your name going into the records of the U.S. criminal justice system you may want to discuss entry requirements with the Canadian authorities.
                    I think we all had youthful indiscretions.....but only some made the record books. My record is clean
                    Now lets talk about you....how did you come to know all about this trivia?
                    Never grow up. Enjoy life while you can

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steelblue5505 View Post
                      Don't confuse Kilometers speed signs with MPH

easy to remember, just multiply the posted kilometer speed by .6 example 40K = just about 24 mph
                      80K = just about 50
                      104K = just about 65
                      Other than speed confusion Canada's road laws very similar to ours.

That would be a fast trip in more ways than one.
                      Actually, I probably would have made that mistake...thinking, "WOW! They *are* liberal in Canada!"

Comment

Take the trip down the 401 from Montreal to Sania and across the spectacular friendship bridge to port huron. Then drive down 94 to Detroit. Much more scenic and less trouble than the tunnel to Detroit.

Comment

Have a full tank before you enter Canada.Check with your creedit card company as some charge an exchange rate fee and some don't. We use Chase and they don't charge a fee.

Comment

I have entered Canada at least once a year over the last thirty five years by both personal car and rentals via: Calais, Houlton, Detroit, Niagara Falls, Yarmouth,NS and have never been asked one time for proof of insurance or registration. Have always had both or rental agreement. Just an honest face I guess, or the fact my wife carries a Canadian passport.

Comment

Originally posted by 11TH GEN View Post
                              I have entered Canada at least once a year over the last thirty five years by both personal car and rentals via: Calais, Houlton, Detroit, Niagara Falls, Yarmouth,NS and have never been asked one time for proof of insurance or registration. Have always had both or rental agreement. Just an honest face I guess, or the fact my wife carries a Canadian passport.
                              You won't need those things to enter the country, just if you get stopped by the police.

Comment

Working...
                              X