Number of Active Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Active Members

We periodically see the question of how many members we have.
    Active members is probably a better question. What is an good indicator of an active member? All I care to contribute is using Charlie's explanation regarding posts is we've had 750 members who have posted in 2014 and 494 who have posted since July.
    Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
    2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Re: Number of Active Members

I've been toasting a bit too much (very much too much) tonight, but I think an active member is one who does more than announce his/her presence on this forum, it's one who contributes their thoughts from time to time, sharing the laughter, successes, and vicissitudes of life; and of experiences with our common vehicle that will help and encourage others. Those people, in my estimation, are the forum and the silent ones can still gain the benefits of shared knowledge, but not the camaraderie of shared lives.
    Life without passion is no life at all.
    Sean Combs

Comment

Well Richard, you may have toasted too much, but you still managed to spell vicissitudes.

Comment

This is an interesting question! Most organizations, clubs, sites, etc. use some measure to determine who is an active member. Some require an annual dues payment each year. This would initiate a response that the member is still interested. Some require attendance one or more times a year. Richard, Merlot4, has stated that a measure could be used if a member is a contributor. Most organizations have leaders, contributors, participants, and bystanders. The TBN organizers and managers should be commended for maintaining such a well-run site over the past twelve years with 9,872 plus members listed. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
        <o:p></o:p>
        I believe a good measurement would be to count how many members have been active or visited the site in last twelve months. According to the Community/Members tab we can count about 2,000 members have visited the TBN site in the last year. Comments welcome.<o:p></o:p>

Comment

I suggest TBN has approximately 125 members who post on a consistent basis.

Comment

Way to go Bill! Maybe it is us 67 year olds with nothing better to do, my wife would agree to that. At least you had the balls to start this question which has haunted me for a long time. I'd like to say that my reply comes from a sound mind and body (I did take a sip of Jane's wine) but that maybe a stretch. I've guessed in my mind that we've got a couple hundred souls that are active 'mas o menos' or more or less. As many of you fine folks know, I drew some attention to myself the first year here by 'over posting' and I'd have to say it was probably true. I was called a blather-er, and accused of being redundant. In retrospect, it came from a combo of lack of knowledge and zealous need to know. But, I've settled down some. I really enjoyed the Colorado trip and the camaraderie, making me feel like I belonged. I missed the trip to Ky and will NOT miss the one to the Black Hills. Thanks Bill for posting!

Comment

Charlie's explanation from another post. thought it was more appropriate here than buried in a non- related post.
              Originally posted by SixPac
              Bill,

In the menu bar above click on "Community". On the drop down click on "Members". On the right side of the page you will see "Search Members". Another drop down says "Advanced Search". That takes you to a new page.

Scroll to the bottom of that page til you come to the "Options" section. You will have 4 options. Select "Join Date" and the next option to the right that says "Descending Order". That should show the join date of all members from today back to the beginning in 2002.

Whole lotta clicking going on, but its a neat little info program. Play with it. It will even show you that out of the 9,000 plus members that 5,400 have never made a post.
              Bill Coates-Canfield, Ohio
              2003 -THE GREY GHOST- MSG, Saddle with Saddle dash kit, door panels, boot and visors

Comment

To activate your membership, click here.

\ \ \ \ \__________________________________-

Comment

I don't lose any sleep over how many active members there are on TBN, but I do appreciate the TBN Forum for the friendships with my fellow members, the events that are coordinated through it, and the information gleaned from it.
                  PK- 2002 Premium Blue/Full Accent/Whisper White Top VIN#16336
                  Built April 22, 2002
                  Purchased July 24, 2002

Comment

Interesting thread Bill ... thanks for starting it.

So roughly 9,872 members
                    2,000 of whom have visited in the last year (about 20%)
                    750 have posted in 2014 (7.59%)
                    and Roger's estimate of roughly 125 who post regularly (a little over 1%)

So what's the deal with the other 7,872 members? Apparently, some 80% of TBN members neither visit nor post, which makes me wonder, why did the they join?

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a very small percentage of members are active here on a regular basis.

Comment

Over 12+ years some folks have sold their car and moved on, some just didn't like us (for whatever reason) and sadly, a few have passed away.

Our numbers probably look like the average church, where the numbers on the rolls far exceed those that come and very much exceed those that actually do some sort of work.

I'm just thankful for the ones that do want to participate in one capacity or another.
                      19 years, 168K miles, 48 States X 2 & DC, 9 Canadian provinces, 8 European countries, 3 Caribbean Islands, 3 Hawaiian Islands, 100+ National Park locations, 150+ T-bird events, 190+ retrobird diecasts/models, 13 TOTM pics & some very special friends...THANKS TBN !

Comment

It would take a lot of research to know for sure how many TBN members have either sold, passed away, or left for other reasons. I doubt that members who have 'left' for whatever reason actually 'unjoin,' if that's even possible. So it would seem that living members who still own either their original 'Retro,' or sold one and then replaced it, is still a smaller number than 'total members.'

I don't think members who pass away or sell are 'removed' from the total. That is, 'once a member, always a member,' unless 'officially' deleted.

It's still great to know that nearly 10,000 present and/or past Retro owners have joined. That represents nearly 15% of all Retros built.

Comment

Then you have to account for members who have more than one Login ID. Some of us do that so we can post under one ID then have the second ID strongly agree with that post. Or when feeling foul, a person could argue with oneself back and forth...
                          Quickdraw
                          Raccoon Lodge Administrator

Comment

Statistically, your numbers are incredibly accurate. Here and in most applications, the 80/20 rule works: the last 20% of a job takes 80% of the time and 20% of the populous does 80% of the work.
                            Here, 20% provide the entertainment/knowledge for the other 80%.
                            That said, as a recent member, I tend to check in daily (probably due to being so into my new acquisition). I find the "welcomes" to new subscribers to be sincere, honest and heartfelt, but this is truly a club with "senior members". For many it must be akin to arriving at a cocktail party in progress, and knowing no one - afraid to join in for fear of saying the wrong thing to the 20%. The good news is that as TBN membership grows, the 20% gets bigger, the statistics stay universally true. We will just need a bigger cocktail lounge!
                            One last thought - our oldest retro are now 12 years old; the newest 9. There is also an actuarial component to take into consideration - even T-birds' lives are finite. Our assignment (ala Jim Phelps) is to make sure as many 'birds as possible reach the next, legal definitions - "classic" then "antique".
                            And THAT is a project for the 20%.
                            Happy Thanksgiving all.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Mark, and based on what you say, I'm betting you'll become one of the 20% that posts regularly.

There are a lot of benefits to being active here on TBN, aside from the more obvious such as answers to technical and repair/maintenance questions. There are threads on Jokes, the stock market, movies, current events and many more.

You'll attain a new 'unofficial' level of membership once you participate in a TBN event. There are many, and they take place all over the country (and some outside the U.S. too). Exchanging posts online is fun, but meeting members in person while participating in various events and road trips brings all the 'virtual' folks to 'life' so to speak. I've only attended one impromptu local gathering and it wasn't an 'official' TBN event, but it really made a difference for me, getting to meet other members in person, socialize and see their Thunderbirds.

There are some really great people here, and they really make the most of Thunderbird ownership by hitting the road and seeing the sights. Your efforts to become involved will be richly rewarded!

Comment

Working...
                              X